3 steps to take if you are declined life insurance 2023
Request a Callback
By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.
3 steps to take if you have been declined life insurance 2023
1. Find out why and push back
- Why have I been declined life insurance?
- What specific things about my health (or other risk) have led to the decline?
- Is this that you are declining me for life insurance forever, or is there a time when you can consider my application?
2. Get your medical records
- A report that stated someone was drinking 6-8 alcoholic drinks a day, rather than their actual consumption of 6-8 drinks per year.
- A report that contained one line that stated someone was diabetic when they had never been diagnosed with this.
- A report that was stating the wrong cancer diagnosis.
If your medical records are incorrect it is essential to get them corrected as soon as possible. Not only will this be better for you in general, but also if there is ever a claim on your life insurance it’s best that your records are accurate to remove the risk that insurers will say that you were not truthful in your application.
As well as this there are times that we speak with people and they have forgotten or misunderstood their medical history. This is always a difficult time as it means that you will learn that your health has not been as you believed it was.
Either way getting a copy of your medical records is a good idea. You can get them corrected if they are wrong, or if they are right you can approach the next insurer with the correct information to hand.
3. Challenge the decision
- See the report – sometimes a little longer as the GP will not send it to the insurer without you approving it, but the positive thing is that you can get a copy and make sure you are happy with what’s in it.
- Don’t see the report – can be quicker as the GP can send it back as soon as they have completed it, but you won’t get a copy and can’t check what’s in it.
I personally prefer for people to check the GP report before it goes back to the insurer. If they share it with me I can then check it for all the technical medical terms that the insurers will be looking for and make sure everything is as expected. It also means that if we need to move to a different insurer things will move much faster if we have a copy of the report.
For other risks to do with work, travel and sports these tend to be hard and fast rules within the insurer. They are either ok with what you are doing or they are not. There are times that there can be some wiggle room but you will probably need to have senior underwriter looking at your application. Your best way to get to them is to use a specialist broker like ourselves.
Our award winning advisers are used to helping people that have been declined life insurance, giving this kind of support has been the core of Cura’s focus for over a decade. We will listen to you, help you to understand why your life insurance was declined in the past and find you the best options for life insurance within the UK.
Categories: Life Insurance
Get a Quote
What We Offer?
- Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
- Specialist advice with no fees to pay
- Full assistance with all of your paperwork
- Put your policy into trust at no cost
- A dedicated insurance adviser for you