Armed Forces Personnel - RAF
Request a Callback
By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.
As a member of the armed forces RAF, insurance providers will require your application for life insurance to detail your specific job tasks, active deployment status now and within six months, and if the policy is to protect a mortgage liability. Life insurance providers require this information so that they can fully assess the risk that your occupation presents.
Critical illness cover pays out a cash lump sum of money, if you are diagnosed with a medical condition that is listed in the insurer’s claims set e.g. cancer, heart attack, stroke.
As a member of the armed forces RAF it is sensible to consider how you and your family would remain financially secure should you fall ill with a critical illness (work related or otherwise). There is no reason why you should not apply for critical illness cover at the same time that you apply for life insurance. There are some insurance providers who will accept your critical illness application at standard rates so long as your occupation is not overly hazardous.
RAF critical illness cover can provide you with a lump sum payout should you fall ill with one of up to 59 claimable illnesses. Alternatively serious illness contracts can offer you protection should you fall ill with up to 161 illnesses. The illnesses that you are insured for must be diagnosed with a specific severity as determined by the insurance provider and must not have been fully or partially identified before the policy start date.
Income protection pays you a replacement of your monthly income, if you are unable to work due to ill health.
Income protection for RAF is available with some select insurance providers. It is likely that any offer of income protection you are given will come with a war and terrorism exclusion to the policy. This is due to the associated higher risk of you becoming unable to work over a long-term, as a direct result of your work in the RAF.
Alternatively you may be eligible for short-term accident, sickness and unemployment insurance which will provide you with a monthly income should you be unable to work, for a period of up to 24 months. You need to be careful of wording under these policies however, as many exclude accidents that happen whilst working abroad.
Please use our free online quotation system to see how much accident, sickness and unemployment cover you could receive. Redundancy cover for armed forces personnel will come with strict claims criteria and we strongly recommend that you speak with one of our insurance advisers before applying for this cover.
Armed Forces Personnel
Armed forces RAF offer an eclectic range of occupations that include Aerospace Battle Engineers, Firefighters and Photographers. As such the routine job activities of members of the RAF range from low to high risk depending upon your specific occupation and likelihood of seeing frontline action in the foreseeable future. Members of the RAF who have hazardous roles or are due to see active duty within the next six months are seen as higher risk to insurance providers, and thus might be charged a higher premium than those in lower risk roles.
Should your policy be “loaded” to a higher price directly because of your occupation you can contact your personnel department for a JPA F010 form. This form may allow you to claim back a percentage of your higher premium, but this is not guaranteed and is at the sole discretion of your employer.
The Special Risks Bureau often handle enquires for members of the Armed Forces, example occupations are:
- Air Operations Support (Aerospace Battle Engineer, Aerospace Systems Operator, Air Cartographer, Air Traffic Control Officer, Air Traffic Controller, Flight Operations Assistant, Flight Operations Officer)
- Aircrew (Pilot, Weapons System Operator, Weapons Systems Operator (Linguist))
- Communications and Intelligence (ICT Aerial Erector, ICT Technician, Intelligent Analyst, Intelligence Analyst (Voice), Intelligence Officer, Photographer)
- Logistics (Caterer, Chef, Driver, Logistics Officer, Mover, Supplier)
- Medical and Medical Support (Biomedical Scientist, Dental Nurse, Dental Officer, Dental Technician, Environmental Health Technician, Medical Officer, Medical Support Officer, Medical Support Officer (Physiotherapist), Nursing Officer, Operating Department Practitioner, Pharmacy Technician, Radiographer, RAF Medic, Registered Nurse (Adult), Registered Nurse (Mental Health), Student Nurse (Adult))
- Personnel Support (Chaplain, Legal Officer, Musician, Personnel Support, Personnel Officer, Physical Training Instructor)
- Security and Defence (Firefighter, RAF Police, RAF Police Officer, RAF Regiment Gunner, RAF Regiment Officer)
- Technical and Engineering (Aircraft Technician (Avionics), Aircraft Technician (Mechanical), Engineering Officer, General Technician Electrical, General Technician Mechanical, General Technician Workshops, Survival Equipment Fitter, Weapon Technician)
- Metabolic syndrome can also be more prevalent in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Active combat
- Explosives handling
- Hazardous countries
- Total permanent disability
- Manual worker
- Medical staff
- Armed Forces Life Insurance
- Armed Forces Personnel and Humanitarian Aid
- PruProtect Life and Serious Illness Cover for Armed Forces Personnel
By clicking on the link(s) above you will be departing from the regulatory site of Special Risks Bureau. The Special Risks Bureau (Cura Financial Services) is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked site(s).
Cura Financial Services has been rated 4.9 out of 5 based on 578 reviews.
Review by Shon on 22nd February 2021
“Excellent. kept me informed all the way. Found cover at a good rate” - 5
You can read more of our reviews here.
Get a Quote
What We Offer?
- Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
- Specialist advice with no fees to pay
- Full assistance with all of your paperwork
- Put your policy into trust at no cost
- A dedicated insurance adviser for you