Armed Forces Personnel - Navy
Request a Callback
By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.
Life insurance providers will want to know the exact working task requirements of your role, your active deployment status and potentially if the cover is mortgage related, before they will consider your application.Some key things that we will ask you:
- What is your occupational role?
- Are you due for deployment soon?
- Are your duties high risk e.g. submarine duties, aircrew pilot?
Whilst it is not a pleasant thing to think about, the insurer is wanting to try and figure out if your occupation means that you are at a higher risk of dying. It is possible to source life insurance for navy personnel at standard terms (no price increase or exclusions).
Critical illness cover pays out a cash lump sum of money, if you are diagnosed with a medical condition that is listed in the insurer’s claims set e.g. cancer, heart attack, stroke.
Whilst you apply for life insurance you can also apply for critical illness cover too. As a naval officer your occupation may have an affect upon the critical illnesses that the insurance provider will or will not insure you for. For example, if you are a mine clearance diver you may have “loss of limb” excluded from your policy. You might potentially find that some insurers will not offer you the cover at all.
Whilst this will not sound great it’s important to remember that the exclusion will usually apply to claimable events as a direct result of your active duty.
There are specialist providers who will offer you critical illness protection at standard rates despite your occupation, but we would strongly recommend that you speak with an insurance adviser before submitting your application. Critical illness cover for navy personnel can often insure you for at least 50 illnesses.
Income protection pays you a replacement of your monthly income, if you are unable to work due to ill health.
Income protection for navy officers is not the easiest insurance to get. From an advice point of view there is quite a lot of debate about whether it is needed. Working in the armed forces you already have access to some good employment benefits if you are ill and unable to work.
At the moment income protection for people in the armed forces is likely to only be available if you have been seconded to a role outside of the forces.
Alternatively you may want to consider short-term accident, sickness and unemployment insurance which will provide you with a monthly income should you be unable to work, for a period of up to 24 months. You need to be careful of wording under these policies however, as many exclude accidents that happen whilst working abroad.
Please use our free online quotation system to see how much accident, sickness and unemployment cover you could receive. Redundancy cover for armed forces personnel will come with strict claims criteria and we strongly recommend that you speak with one of our insurance advisers before applying for this cover.
Armed Forces Personnel
Armed forces personnel covers a range of occupations including Air Traffic Controllers, Deckhands and Dental Officers. The routine working tasks of individuals within the Navy varies greatly between career paths and present a broad spectrum of low and high risk occupations. When considering Life Insurance policies you should be aware that any notice to serve in active combat within six months will require your application to be placed with specialist insurance providers.
It is often the case that if you are due to be deployed to active duty within the near future that your Life Insurance will have a higher premium and/or exclusions placed upon the policy, than someone who is not due to see frontline action. If your policy is given such “special rates” due to your occupation it is worthwhile contacting your personnel department for a JPA F010 form, to apply for a rebate on the percentage of this additional premium. This is not guaranteed and is reviewed on a case by case basis.
We support members of the Armed Forces, example occupations are:
- Fleet Air Arm (Air Engineer Officer, Air Engineering Technician, Air Traffic Controller Officer, Aircraft Controller, Aircrew Officer Observer/Navigation and Weapons Systems, Aircrew Officer Pilot, Aircrewman, Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler/Survival Equipment))
- Royal Fleet Auxillary (Assistant Cook, Catering Steward, Deckhand, Deck Officer, Engineer (Marine/Systems), Logistics Supply Officer, Medical Technician, Motorman, Seaman Grade II)
- Royal Marines (Commando, Bugler, Musician)
- Submarine Service (Catering Steward, Chef, Communications and Information Systems Specialists, Engineer (Marine/Weapon), Engineering Technician (Marine/Weapon), Logistics Officer, Medical Assistant, Supply Chain Logistician, Warfare Officer, Warfare Specialists (Sensors/Tactical), Writer)
- Surface Fleet (Air Engineer, Catering Steward Logistician, Chef, Communications Information Systems, Communications Technician, Dental Officer, Engineer (Marine/Weapon), Engineering Technician (Marine/Weapon), Environmental Health Officer, Hydrographic Meterological and Oceanographic Specialist, Hydrographic and Meterological Officer, Logistics Officer, Medical Officer, Mine Clearance Diver, Mine Warfare Specialist, Naval Nursing Officer, Logistics Officer, Radiographer, Seaman Specialist, Supply Chain Logistician, Training Management Officer, Warfare Officer, Writer Logistician)
- Active combat
- Hazardous countries
- Total permanent disability
- Armed Forces Life Insurance
- Armed Forces Personnel and Humanitarian Aid
- Protection Insurance in the Armed Forces
- Protection Insurance for Veterans
- Protection Podcast – Armed Forces
- PruProtect Life and Serious Illness Cover for Armed Forces Personnel
By clicking on the link(s) above you will be departing from the regulatory site of Cura Financial Services. Cura Financial Services is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked site(s).
Cura Financial Services has been rated 5 out of 5 based on 724 reviews.
Review by Sophie on 26th February 2021
“Extremely helpful. Communicated clearly” - 5
You can read more of our reviews here.
Get a Quote
What We Offer?
- Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
- Specialist advice with no fees to pay
- Full assistance with all of your paperwork
- Put your policy into trust at no cost
- A dedicated insurance adviser for you