University Lecturer & Life Insurance

Request a Callback

By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you  to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.

University Lecturer & Life Insurance

University LecturerI had the lovely opportunity of delivering some university lessons whilst I was doing my PhD, it was so rewarding. I definitely miss academia.

Depending upon the university that you work for you probably have some death-in-service cover. This is life insurance that they offer you whilst you work for them, it’s definitely worth chatting with your HR to check this out.

Being a university lecturer should have no bearing on your options for life insurance in the UK. But there are a couple of things that are worth checking.

We will ask you:

  • Are you intending on going on a sabbatical?
  • Does your work involved you travelling outside the UK for more than a week?
  • Do you need to take part in sailing or scuba diving as part of your research?
  • Do you need to travel to high risk countries for research?

If your work is based in the UK you shouldn’t have any difficulties in getting life insurance, even short trips abroad should be fine. The times that things can get trickier is if you need to travel abroad a lot or for a long period of time.  The insurer will just want to make sure that they feel confident that you are a UK resident before offering you life insurance and that you are not going anywhere particularly risky.

As part of my PhD I worked alongside some marine biologists which is why the sailing and scuba diving points popped into my mind. Insurers do ask specific questions about these activities when you are applying for life insurance. A lot of the time it’s absolutely fine and you will get life insurance at normal terms, but there can be situations where you might see a premium increase due to these activities.

Our advisers are here to help you find the right insurer to match your circumstances, to get you the best terms possible.

Critical illness cover pays out a cash lump sum of money, if you are diagnosed with a medical condition that is listed in the insurer’s claims set e.g. cancer, heart attack, stroke.

Critical illness cover should be available at normal terms to you if your university work is based in the UK.  It is possible that any travel or sporting activities that you do as part of your work, could alter the options that you have for critical illness cover.

Our expert advisers will find the right critical illness policy to match your work.

Income protection pays you a replacement of your monthly income, if you are unable to work due to ill health.

Income protection should be available to you at normal terms as a university lecturer.  Many universities do offer enhanced sick pay as part of your employment benefits, it’s best to find out these details before you apply for income protection as you don’t want them to overlap.

If you travel abroad for work or take part in activities such as sailing, scuba diving, hiking etc to complete your research, you might need to be selective about which insurer you apply to for income protection.

Our advisers recommend income protection for people every day and we will be able to let you know exactly what you can have. Get in touch today for a no obligation quotation.

Get an Income Protection Quote

We work alongside a specialist travel broker to get you the travel insurance that you need. It is even more important to make sure that seek advice if you are regularly travelling outside of the UK to see your clients. To find out more, please visit our travel page here.

  • Conduct and publish research
  • Delivering lessons to students in person and virtually
  • Design and develop lesson content
  • Present at conferences

Client Reviews

Cura Financial Services has been rated 5 out of 5 based on 765 reviews.

Review by Emma on 17th October 2023

The team kept me updated throughout the whole process & was very efficient. Couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly. - 5 

You can read more of our reviews here.

University Lecturer

Dr Kathryn Knowles Phd

This page was written by Dr Kathryn Knowles Phd, an award-winning insurance adviser. To read more about Kathryn please see her bio here

University Lecturer

Client Reviews

University Lecturer

Talk to a Friendly Adviser

Please feel free to call us on 0800 567 7450 and one of our qualified insurance advisers will be happy to assist you.

Get a Quote

Please feel free to request a quote from us using our online form. The more information that you can provide us about your health conditions, hobbies, travel and/or occupation, the more accurate indications of price we’ll be able to give you.

What We Offer?

  • Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
  • Specialist advice with no fees to pay
  • Full assistance with all of your paperwork
  • Put your policy into trust at no cost
  • A dedicated insurance adviser for you

Guides & News

Here’s our latest guides, musings, charity work, podcast, awards and industry updates. There’s a lot going on!

Our Recent Awards

University Lecturer
University Lecturer
University Lecturer
University Lecturer
University Lecturer