Diplomats & Life Insurance

Request a Callback

By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you  to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.

DiplomatDiplomats often spend quite a bit of time outside of the UK and this can have an influence upon the life insurance you can take out.

When you speak with our expert advisers we will be asking you:

  • Which countries are you visiting?
  • How long are you outside of the UK for each year?
  • Do you pay UK tax?
  • Is your primary residence in the UK?

If you are on diplomatic service you are often still pay UK tax and have a UK address. Some insurers are absolutely fine to consider you for life insurance in this case, without any issues for the amount of time that you spend outside the country

If you have a partner with you who is travelling on a partners diplomatic visa, they can also have their life insurance application be considered by some UK insurers.

You can find that getting life insurance can be tricky if you live in another country for a significant period of time. This is because a number of insurers will class you as resident outside of the UK. Not all insurers do which is why our advisers standout as being able to get you the life insurance you need, we know where to get your cover.

Your life insurance might be available at standard rates depending upon the country that you visit. If you are travelling to more higher risk countries or places that the Foreign Commonwealth Office state are dangerous, you might see your life insurance offered at non-standard terms. This is usually an increase to the life insurance premiums.

Our advisers are here to help you find the right insurer to match your circumstances, to get you the best terms possible.

Critical illness cover pays out a cash lump sum of money, if you are diagnosed with a medical condition that is listed in the insurer’s claims set e.g. cancer, heart attack, stroke.

Critical illness cover for diplomats outside of the UK can be available with some insurers. You can find that some insurers will only offer you life insurance, but there is the potential for critical illness cover with some.

The amount of time that you spend outside of the UK is absolutely key here. When someone is outside of the UK for a long time, insurers will start to change the way that they assess applications based upon the health statistics for that country. This can make quite a difference when they take into account environmental factors and the availability and quality of healthcare.

If an insurer can offer you critical illness cover you might get it at standard terms or non-standard terms. This means that they will either price the policy as if you were in the UK as they are not concerned about the country that you live in, or they will increase the premiums.

Our award winning advisers will find the right critical illness policy to match your work and travel.

Income protection pays you a replacement of your monthly income, if you are unable to work due to ill health.

Income protection insurance will definitely need a good bit of research to make sure that the right insurer is found for you. Quite a lot of insurers will consider you as not being UK tax resident, even if you are paying UK tax. I know this doesn’t make sense and trust me we have had a number of debates with insurers about this.

There are a couple of insurers that will be able to consider your application but there needs to be very clear discussions about your travel and how they view your tax arrangements.

You are likely to have more options for income protection if you have been registered with a UK GP for at least the last 2 years.

Our advisers recommend income protection for people every day and we will be able to let you know exactly what you can have. Get in touch today for a no obligation quotation.

Get an Income Protection Quote

We work alongside a specialist travel broker. As you are likely to be outside of the UK quite a bit each year, it’s essential to make sure that your travel insurance policy covers this. To find out more, please visit our travel page here.

  • British diplomat
  • Connections to Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)
  • High risk destinations
  • Give consular support to UK citizens
  • Living outside of the UK
  • Process visa queries
  • Promote overseas investment into the UK
  • Regular travel outside of the UK
  • Review overseas events

Client Reviews

Cura Financial Services has been rated 5 out of 5 based on 765 reviews.

Review by Daniel on 23rd May 2023

Very informative, understanding and helpful. Krystle was a huge help in helping me put my life cover in place. She was able to show that she really understood my situation and requirements and made the process smooth and easy. Thank you Krystle - 5 

You can read more of our reviews here.


Dr Kathryn Knowles Phd

This page was written by Dr Kathryn Knowles Phd, an award-winning insurance adviser. To read more about Kathryn please see her bio here


Client Reviews


Talk to a Friendly Adviser

Please feel free to call us on 0800 567 7450 and one of our qualified insurance advisers will be happy to assist you.

Get a Quote

Please feel free to request a quote from us using our online form. The more information that you can provide us about your health conditions, hobbies, travel and/or occupation, the more accurate indications of price we’ll be able to give you.

What We Offer?

  • Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
  • Specialist advice with no fees to pay
  • Full assistance with all of your paperwork
  • Put your policy into trust at no cost
  • A dedicated insurance adviser for you

Guides & News

Here’s our latest guides, musings, charity work, podcast, awards and industry updates. There’s a lot going on!

Our Recent Awards